Friday, August 8, 2008

Deciding What Tasks to Train




When owner training a service dog it is often a challenge to decide what beyond obedience that you want your future service dog to know. Since the purpose purpose of a service dog, under the ADA, is to mitigate the affects of a disability, it is important that you as the training engage in some reflection on how your disability limits you in daily life. Some questions to consider are:





  • What are the primary affects of my disability currently?


  • What are the secondary affect of my disability?


  • Does the level of my disability fluctuate?


  • What tasks do I currently depend on others to do? Could a dog be trained to take over any of these duties?


Dogs can be trained to perform a lot of tasks that will make your life easier; however, a good portion of your dogs tasks should relate to your your primary affects of your disability. A good trainer is both creative and fair about the the tasks they ask of their dog.



Examples:



Myself, my primary disability is Cerebral Palsy. I use a manual wheelchair, and forearm crutches. The affects of my disability include a lack of a sense of balance, muscle spacsticity, etreme fatigue, shoulder damage, and overuse syndrome in my hands. I focused on tasks that would save my shoulders, prevent falling and save me vauable energy.



Standard tasks Bastien was trained for:

-wheelchair pulling (*note of caution: dogs with long spines or that are under 50lbs are not considered physically appropriate for the task of wheelchair pulling.)

- Tugging open doors

-Turn on and off lights

-Retrieving dropped items

-Retreiving items by name

-Getting help

-Back packing (*note A dog should never be asked to carry more than 10 percent of their weight)

Non-stand tasks Bastien was trained for (Many of these tasks capitlized on his natural talents and focused on reducing my fatigue or helping when I was fatigued):

-Unscrewing the caps off of plastic bottles (this was something he figured out on his own. I though it would be use full when my hands at I kept bottles hurt. It did require that I kept bottles with dangerous things out of his reach.)

-Flushing toilets

-Finding people in a crowd. I discovered that Bastien was very good at learning words and names and I so used that skill as much as I could.

Example 2: My friend with a hearing dog

Beyond the hearing dog tasks he has trained his dog to alert him when things fall out of his pockets.

Training Resources:

BOW WOW ! FUN AND FUNCTIONAL DOG TRICKS

BOW WOW, TAKE 2

TEAMWORK II: DOG TRAINING FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES (SERVICE EXERCISES) DVD

SMOKE ALARM TRAINING FOR YOUR DOG

No comments: