Thursday, February 10, 2011

News: Salmon Poisoning on the Rise

ROSEBURG, Ore. -- The salmon run is taking place right now, but if you're planning on casting your line, you may want to think twice about bringing your favorite four-legged friend with you.
Dogs all across the county have been falling ill from eating fish.
Raw salmon and other ocean going fish can carry a parasite called Rickettsia, more commonly known as 'Salmon Poisoning.'
The parasite can seriously harm, or even kill dogs.
A few days after dogs eat raw salmon, they can start to act lethargic. They will probably continue to drink fluids, but they won't eat.
They will also likely vomit, have diarrhea and run a high fever.
If your dog is showing similar symptoms, officials urge you to bring them to a veterinary clinic. Read more

No comments: